This comes from my Marguerite Patten recipe cards. I don’t remember whether I’ve actually cooked any of these before, or whether I’ve merely mocked the weird dolls on them.
- How thin is thin for an aubergine slice? Mine ranged from ‘pound coin’ thick and, er, thinner.
- It’s tricky to coat slices in flour without making a mess of the kitchen.
- It’s even trickier to not eat the fried aubergine.
- 4 onions is too much for me to slice. I was in floods of tears by the end.
- I used Pilgrim’s Choice cheddar.
- I forgot to put a lid on the casserole. This seemed to make no difference.
- I omitted the parsley, ie I couldn’t be fagged to buy any.
This was really blooming tasty and I ate it as a main dish with some bread, and will definitely cook it again. My only complaint would be the tomato skins – blanching and peeling these would be a nice touch, though by no means necessary.
And here it is on a novelty tea towel:
Gratineed by Alix