This is from the previously featured Penguin Pauper’s Cookbook. I’m fairly sure it’s the dish on the front cover of said book, which looks kind of appealing. I was mostly thinking of Bodean’s beans when I opted to cook this and it’s safe to say that they do not use this recipe for their delicious beans.
Things that were wrong with this dish:
- It tastes too much of treacle
- The pork toughens up even at GM4 for an hour plus
- The ‘sauce’ is very runny
- It is neither sweet nor salt
- The onions should have cooked down into the sauce more
- The flavours generally do not come through at all
In summary this dish is a let down on all fronts – taste, texture and even paupery* as the pork wasn’t particularly cheap. Looks like this, don’t bother making it, go get a proper recipe.
Beaned by Alix
*Not a word.